Monday, November 05, 2007

THE NEXT YEAR OF MY LIFE


I recently celebrated my 31st bday. The last year of my life was a bit rough. It's like I turned 30 and things started to really stink. I let myself go physically, mentally and spiritually. I feel like I have not been my self and it has had an affect on my daily life.

Mike's death is something that I have had a hard time dealing with. It's almost been a year, and even my Doctor told me last week that it is time I "get over it.' He didn't say those exact words, but he said the grieving period should be over after 6 months, 1 year max. It all sounded so matter-of-factly. I didn't take it personally, I think everyone reacts to things their own way.
So the point of all of this is
that I want to spend this next year taking better care of myself. I need to get back in shape, get back to church and take more time for my mental well being.
I feel like I have started this journey this past weekend. Bob and I enjoyed every moment with the kids and with each other. We didn't do anything special, we just spent good time together. And, we finally made it to church on Sunday morning.
We also took some time this weekend thinking about expanding our family. Sunday we went out and looked at Goldendoodle puppies. We didn't bring one home with us (surprisingly) but we are going to continue to look until we find just the right one who will fit into our family.
Hope everyone has a great week!

5 comments:

Kara said...

I feel you Amanda. I have been struggling with myself as well lately. I am sorry you are having issues with Mike's death. Everyone is different, so I wouldn't let a Dr tell me I have greived enough. Enough will be when it feels like enough to you. And do we really ever get over losing someone? I am glad that you were able to spend some quality time with your family this weekend. Keep us posted on the puppy addition, as we have been toying with the idea as well. I hope we can see you guys this weekend when we are up in Cleveland. I will email you the time we will be arriving. Take Care.

Anonymous said...

Emma has a goldendoodle and she loves it!!!!
HOpe that you get back on track...I think in each of our own ways we have all been a little off track this year..

JCharlton said...

You scared me for a minute, I thought you might tell me that you were going to have another baby. I feel your pain in terms of being sad though. I had an extremely tough time after Seth was born and it took me about 9 months to fully get over it. I felt like someone else had taken over my body. It will get better and it sounds like you are taking steps to help yourself. We are all here if you need us! Gotta love the internet.

jenica said...

there is no time period to say it's time that you forget about someone dear to you. he was a piece of your personal puzzle and he may have been a huge piece of that puzzle. it can't be replaced and that part of your life will never look the same without him in it.

the pain will begin to lessen as the years go by, and your puzzle will expand in new and beautiful ways. i'm glad to hear that you're taking it into your own hands though. happy vibes being sent your way. ;-D

Mollie said...

Be patient and caring with yourself. You are loved by many and will always have our ears and support.