Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Self Portrait Challenge: Dust on My Guitar


I haven't played my guitar in 5+ years. Every once in awhile I pick it up, give it a little strum, then I put it down.
When I was a freshman in college, my Uncle Tommy gave me one of his guitars. I couldn't wait to get back to Mack Hall (my dorm) and play for everyone. The first thing I did was buy a gigantic book of "easy" chords for Beatles songs. I didn't know how to read music, so this was the perfect book for me. The first one I learned was the song "Yesterday."
It seemed at the time, tons of people had guitars. So we would sit in our hippie circles, 20 people jammed into our tiny dorm room, and play. Skipping class, skipping sleep, just playing our guitars.
I couldn't tell you how many times our R.A. came to our room to tell us to keep it down, after 10pm was quiet hours. We never listened, we just kept playing. Writing silly songs, embracing our youth.

I miss my calloused finger tips.

2 comments:

nina beana said...

hippie circles. you got me with this post, mama. i heart you and your geee-tar.

JCharlton said...

So happy that you are making my soup recipe, it is awesome! Love the self portrait. I never played the guitar, but my brother did and he drove me crazy playing at all hours of the day. I used to love naps and he loved to interrupt them!