Thursday, August 09, 2007

PLAN B

Don't let that smile fool you


I've written many times about Grace's sleeping issues. It's been an ongoing battle for 2 years now, ever since she left the crib.
One of G's biggest complaints/excuses when she doesn't sleep is that her bed is uncomfortable and too small. Okay, I'll buy that one. It is definitely small and not the most comfy mattress in the world.
So last Sunday, Bob and I set up a new bed for her. We got rid of her Princess toddler bed and put in something new. A big, big girl bed. This bed was mine when I was a girl. My mom gave it to us when we moved into this house and it's been sitting in the attic for 5+ years.
We set it up for her and it basically takes up her entire room. Not a big deal though because she doesn't play much in there anyways. We put our old down comforter on it and it looks beautiful and comfortable and perfect. I even fell asleep in it on Sunday afternoon. Grace was all sorts of excited when we were setting it up, so Bob and I thought we finally resolved the nighttime problem.
Not exactly.
Each night since, she has woken up numerous times with new excuses of why she can't sleep in there. We can't win. She has even requested that we set her old crib up. Talk about regression. It's almost like having a newborn again in the sense that Bob and I can't get any sleep around here. Really, the only person sleeping is Denny, who can sleep through anything.

3 comments:

JCharlton said...

YIKES! I wish I had some words of wisdom, but I'll be coming to you for advice in a few months when we make that transition too!

Kara said...

Good luck! All I got to say is Janey will be 5 the first week of September and she STILL has sleeping issues. She doesn't want to be lonely so she has been sleeping with Chloe in her room. My mom even bought her a Lava lamp(which she has wanted)Didn't work. She has been told that she has until Saturday night and after that it is back to her room. We'll see what excuses she comes up with then. Good luck!

Tasina said...

My four year old doesn't like to sleep in his bed either. And for some reason he insists on putting his head at the foot of the bed. I don't really worry about it too much. Most mornings we wake up all moved around. I look at it this way: he's my last kid and I'll never have another (barring adoption). 20 years from now I'm going to wish I had that little warm sweet smelling baby next to me just one last time. I also have a 16 year old - trust me, they don't do this forever. There will come a day when they're so independent you would give anything in the world for them to babies again. Mine just got his driver's license and I would give ANYTHING for my worst problem with him to be sleeping in his own bed.

Also - good luck with your quit! I found you from Maggie's site.