Thursday, August 16, 2007

PROFESSIONAL QUITTER

I'm no expert here, it's only been 10 days since I've been on Chantix, 3 days w/o a cig. It absolutely is helping with my cravings, no doubt about it. What it is not helping with is my desire to rip people's faces off. I am one angry bitch when I am not smoking. I get sweaty, shaky and mean to anyone in my path. Luckily, I'm not like this all day, just parts of the day, a few times a day.
For example, I just returned from Target. It was crowded, people were moving too slow for me, and my kids refused to stay in the cart. Before I knew it, I became possessed and was overtaken with serious mom rage. Then other shoppers are staring at the "crazy mom" in the store and I am getting more fired up. Somehow I made it out of there without any physical altercations, but believe me, I was running my mouth.
As I was driving home, I had every intention of stopping at the gas station to pick up a delicious pack of Marlboro Lights. One every now and then won't hurt, and it will help me keep my sanity. I was telling myself it has to be impossible to be at home with a 2-year-old and a 3-year-old all day and not smoke. Nobody does that, right?
Someway, somehow (most likely the $100 I spent on a 4 week supply of Chantix) I made it home without buying any smokes. I immediately gave the kids snacks so they would be quiet for a few minutes, and I stuffed my mouth with 3 pieces of Trident Splash strawberry lime gum.
Now that I am done with that rant (and feeling much better may I add,) let me share some wonderful news. My sis-in-law Becky got engaged last night to Pete. She called me this morning with the news and we could not be any happier! Congrats Pete and Becky, we love you. Now let's start planning this wedding!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

It does get easier, and you are doing just awesome! Just keep going.

I'll add your blog to my list next time I post, probably later today.

Ellie said...

Oh yes, those cranky episodes! I am 18 days quit, and they have started to fade away.

My partner is also quitting, so it has been quite a challenge, Chantix or no. We've had a few fights, but healthy ones on the whole, I think. Nothing our increased lung capacity can't handle! :P

Hang in there, you're doing great, Amanda. Welcome to the quitter's circle.

JCharlton said...

You are cracking me up! Ro has serious cart rage, but I can only imagine how you were feeling. Stick to it as long as you can. I'll be thinking of you!

Tasina said...

Trident Strawberry Lime!!! I think at this point I might actually crave that more than my Winston's.

Kara said...

I am sorry that you are having a hard time with quitting right now. I know where you are coming from with the staying home with the kids thing right now. But when they have pushed you to the edge and you really want a smoke, just put on some really good tunes really loud and dance, sing, scream or whatever will get you through the moment. It does get easier. Now I can't stand the smell of cigarettes.

Mayren said...

Congrats on the big push to stop smoking!!! It does get easier eventually; stress does bring on the cravings but you can do it!

Anonymous said...

You're doing great!

jenica said...

hehe

i've got mom rage and i'm not even quitting anything. ;-D

good luck sweetie! you can do it!