Monday, February 04, 2008

DELAYED WARNING

Many of you know about my struggles with quitting the cigs. For awhile I was blogging about Chantix, the drug I was taking to help me quit. While I was "writing on Chantix," I would get lots of emails from people basically asking "dude, are you okay?" If interested, you can read a few examples of my chantix blogs here and here.

So I guess I was writing kinda crazy, basically b/c I was feeling kinda crazy. It wasn't the same feelings I get from not smoking. I have tried to quit many times and I know how I get and how I feel when I am not smoking. When I was taking Chantix, it was different. The first 2 weeks were good, then my mind starting going places it wasn't welcome and my attitude was awful. I was a biatch to the fullest and I literally felt like I was losing my mind.

I stoppped taking Chantix a few months ago and I feel back to normal. The only problem is I haven't quit smoking 100%, but I do smoke a lot less than I used to. My mother-in-law gave me some natural nicotine relief pills and drops that I am going to begin using.

With all this being said, I wasn't surprised to see this article in the paper yesterday:


FDA links Chantix to psychiatric problems

Washington- Government regulators on Friday said the connection between Pfizer's anti-smoking drug Chantix and serious psychiatric problems is "increasingly likely."
The Food and Drug Administration said it has received 37 reports of suicides and more than 400 of suicidal behavior in connection with the drug. In November, the agency began investigating reports of depression, agitation and suicidal behavior among patients taking the popular twice-daily pill.
The agency's announcement comes two weeks after Pfizer added stronger warnings to the drug. The company stressed that a direct link between Chantix and the reported psychiatric problems has not been established, but could not be ruled out.
Pfizer suggested that since nicotine withdrawal alone can cause mood swings and agitation, it may be impossible to determine if Chantix aggravates those behaviors.
But the FDA said it found evidence of Chantix patients who experienced psychiatric problems even though they were still smoking.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yikes, Amanda. I read that, too. I'm one of those with a good experience who didn't have any of the bad side effects and remain smoke-free. Chantix isn't for everyone, and it's definitely good for people to be aware and in touch with their doctors if anything odd starts happening. I do hope that you get where you want to be by whatever means works for you. Good to hear from you again!

JCharlton said...

Holy crap! I am so happy that you quit it, BUT that you are still trying to quit. Stay strong girl!

Kara said...

The article didn't say anything about killing the people who mosy with their carts in the store! Just kidding! Glad you found out that Chantix wasn't for you. I hope you are able to kick the habit soon!

CA Momma said...

Whoa! Glad you're not taking THAT anymore! You can kick the ciggies, it is sooo worth it.